By our Staff
on Monday, January 30th, 2017
in Cosmetic Dentistry |
What’s holding you back this year from your most confident, healthy smile?? Why not add a few resolutions to an area that often gets overlooked: your mouth! Just a few extra moments devoted to your teeth each day will have a huge impact on your health, and can help any potential small dental issues avoid becoming a large (or costly) dental problem.
- Get a new toothbrush. Many people wait to replace their brushes until the bristles are frayed. This is not a good idea–your toothbrush needs to be in tip-top shape to effectively clean your teeth and remove plaque.
Replacing your toothbrush also reduces the amount of bacteria introduced to the mouth. The American Dental Association recommends that you replace your toothbrush every 3-4 months or sooner if you see signs of wear and tear (like frayed bristles). If you have kids, replace theirs, too–their toothbrushes need replacing on a more frequent basis.
Helpful tip! Set a reminder in your phone and/or add “new toothbrush” to your grocery list. Grab a few at a time so that replacing is as easy as reaching into your cabinet!
- Each day, brush twice, floss at least once. Don’t skip out on flossing (your dentist CAN tell!). Food gets stuck in the crevices between your teeth–this is the number one way to produce bad breath and a pretty good way to welcome tooth decay, cavities or gum disease as bacteria and debris breaks down and erodes against the teeth.
Helpful tip! Set your floss on your bathroom counter or directly next to your toothbrush as a visual reminder. You can also stash floss in your drawer at work, or a pocket or purse.
- Up your crunchy, watery veggie intake! Celery, zucchini, radishes, broccoli, peppers, and spinach all have a high water content and keep the saliva production in your body going. This helps to avoid dry mouth, which is a breeding ground for bacteria known to cause tooth decay, cavities, and bad breath. Plus it will keep the rest of your body very, very happy!
- Schedule your next dental checkup. Scripps Rock Dental is committed to reducing and preventing dental issues such as cavities, tooth decay and gum disease by monitoring your oral health to predict or plan for changes, and maintaining dental health to reduce or prevent risks for certain dental issues. By taking a proactive approach to your dental care, our patients feel healthier and more confident in their smiles when less restorative dental work is needed.
- Just say NO to sugar and other indulgent habits that may be damaging to the teeth. Alcohol, smoking and even nervous nail-biting introduce harmful debris or acids into the mouth. Before you send your child to bed with sugary fruit juice or pass up a chance to brush and floss before bed, remember the easy ways you can encourage a healthy smile.
New Year, New Smile
If you are looking for a bigger, more noticeable change in your mouth during this new year, you might be interested in cosmetic dentistry. We offer a variety of cosmetic procedures to help you straighten, brighten, whiten, and restore your pearly whites to their natural beauty! Scripps Rock Dental is proud to provide patients with the following options:
- Teeth Whitening
- Porcelain Veneers
- Dental Crowns and Implants
- Full and partial dentures
Your Family Dentist in Scripps Ranch, California
Why wait another day to make this new year even better? Scripps Rock Dental is excited to help you restore your smile and confidence! Our team is committed to practicing quality dental care for you and your entire family. Call us today at 858.530.0300 or visit us at 12112 Scripps Summit Drive, Suite C, San Diego, CA 92131. We look forward to seeing you smile!